This week we decided to be adventurous in the kitchen – for us, anyway – by making gluten-free pizza dough from scratch, which I thought would be especially fun as O was home with me.
The thought of kneading the dough for 10 minutes with O helping filled me with dread, until I remembered that I have a dough hook on my KitchenAid. As I was short on time, I did not look up if I needed to adjust the recipe when using the dough hook and the mixer rather than kneading by hand. That might be why the pizza bases were a little bulky, shall we say, in the end.
The dough was surprisingly easy to make. I’ve always avoided doing this from scratch as I thought it would be terribly complicated.But nothing could be easier.
Now, however, I just need to find out why the dough ended up so heavy since it rose so well during the process, and also why the dough was so very sticky (I spent 15 minutes afterwards trying to scrape it off the (very, very floured) marble work surface and lost a lot during the process as it ended up welded to my hands).
At least they looked good (and tasted okay) though. We used aubergine and courgette for the cat’s eyes and aubergine and olives for the clown’s. And we had to use sweetcorn. According to the boys, all pizzas are required to have sweetcorn.
Any tips on how to improve the dough would be gratefully received. I’m sure that I am doing a small mistake somewhere that I can easily fix.0