I‘d really like to be able to say that I follow a paleo lifestyle but, unfortunately, that simply isn’t true. I do have bursts when I cook up a few paleo meals a week, but I cannot seem to commit myself (story of my life…) to cooking paleo each dinner time and sometimes it’s just easiest to throw together a meal including pasta or bread. You could call it partly paleo, I suppose.
I have found a few paleo favourites that I cook when I am feeling virtuous. This week I discovered a new one on googling “paleo pork cutlets”. This Mexican spiced paleo pork was great (don’t be put off by the title: the coffee mentioned is not in the pork recipe) and I followed the advice and ate it with a ripe avocado that I just happened to have. Delicious.
I decided to make a paleo-style version of cottage pie by using sweet potato for the top, rather than standard potatoes. It was decent but it did make me remember that I am not the biggest fan of sweet potato… And the contrast between the savoury filling and the sweet potato was a little unusual, shall we say. Also, my usual test (asking Husband “Should I make this again?”) failed (“Um, please, no.”). A friend suggested that I combine butternut squash with mashed potato for the topping next time – that might be a better way to do it. Finding a more tasty dish might be a better one.
On the other hand, some dishes are just super. This slow cooker paleo chicken is so incredibly easy to cook and the gravy that you make with it is divine. My mouth is watering now while typing this. So it’s a good thing that I put one in the slow cooker last night for dinner today.
And then I hit the holy grail: I made “almost paleo” cupcakes (ha!) last week. I have a favourite cupcake recipe, by Lorraine Pascale, that I just love. The cupcakes are light and fluffy and moist – they come out just right each and every time. And this time round I went on a bit of a substituting run. I swapped the plain flour for coconut flour (about 75%) and wholemeal flour (the other 25%) and the caster sugar for coconut sugar and put in grated coconut instead of vanilla. Then I just upped the quantity of milk that I used to loosen up the mix a little. They went into the cupcake cases a little less smoothly than the normal mix, but they rose just as well in the oven (although the surface of them was not as smooth, owing to the grated coconut.
Usually this recipe calls for you to make a vanilla syrup to brush the cupcakes with after baking. Instead, I made a coconut syrup using more if the grated coconut and coconut sugar. And it worked perfectly.
And do you know what? Between mouthfuls, Husband was able to confirm that “Yes, yes, it would be okay for you to bake these again.”0